The NHL trade deadline has passed, and the Bruins actually made relevant moves. I’ve finally had a chance to digest the transactions and reflect on the roster changes. I sent up a quick prayer to the Hockey Gods and recited 4 Hail Derecks (Sanderson is my personal saint) and I am now ready to have an adultish conversation about what has transpired.
Just so we’re clear, I’m not discussing the loss to the Caps last night. It didn’t happen as I (and apparently the roster) were too busy focusing on the trade deadline. One quick note however, what type of huns are Oshie and Ovi? I mean, c’mon. You’re cherry picking up by 7 goals at the end of the game? GTFOH, you’re the type of guys who make pickup skates chippy.
Anyways, here’s the breakdown on the new faces:
Taylor Hall and Curtis Lazar for Anders Bjork and a 2021 2nd round pick
Mike Reilly for a 2022 3rd round pick
- Hall – the big piece
- Says he wants to re-sign for multi year contract with Bruins
- UFA at end of this season (so IN THEORY should be motivated)
- Waived his NMC to enable this to happen
- Would look good with Krecji and Pastrnak
- BUF retains 50% of his salary
- Lazar – of course he’s currently out with LBI
- Can play wing and center
- Plays physical game, grinder
- Great bottom 6 forward
- Under contract for next year also
- Former 1st round pick so talent is there
- Reilly – an absolute steal
- Top 4 talent
- B’s fans will remember him as a pain in the ass when he played in Montreal
- Skilled player that could really blossom in B’s system
- Should log time on PP, especially with McAvoy and Grzelcyk both banged up
- So excited to get going hopped into car and is driving from Ottawa (actually this way he avoids quarantine, but him being excited sounds better)
The Bruins acquired 3 players that should contribute immediately for 2 picks and Anders Bjork. Now don’t get me wrong, I hate to see Bjorkie go, but this shows how good he was playing. He played himself into a trade and conversely, DeBrusk played himself out of a trade.
See you in Seattle Jake.
The lineup the Bruins roll out (once healthy that is) certainly looks a lot better than it did yesterday:
Bergeron – Marchand – Smith
Krecji – Hall – Pastrnak
Coyle/Lazar – Ritchie – then? Could be Frederic, DeBrusk, Kuhlman
Kuraly/Lazar – Wagner – Blidh or any of the above mentions
McAvoy – Grzelcyk
Carlo – Reilly
Clifton – Lauzon or Zboril, Tinordi, Kampfer
Get some healthy bodies back, get the new guys acclimated and let’s see what we got. I was dead set against Hall, but at the cost and if his head’s right? Hell yeah, the guy’s 3 years removed from his MVP season. I’m fully ready to say I pegged him wrong.
Keep it simple Hallsy, just do what Bergy does.
Up next is Buffalo tomorrow night. Let’s F-ing go.