I know the analytic nerds of the world would rather have 5 and 6th round picks that posted cool driveway toe drag videos on YouTube on their fourth line but in real life, hockey teams are normally successful when they can roll all four lines, with each having a purpose or an assignment to complete throughout the course of 60 minutes. Like it or not, the Rangers fourth line has been a pain in the ass to play against this season. The additions of Dryden Hunt, Ryan Reaves and Sammy Blais have put other teams defenseman on notice, opening up more time and space and forcing turnovers all while creating a little black a blue. I think we were all wondering when the big guy would hit the eject button and last night, at Madison Garden, Ryan Reaves reminded everyone in the league that he is the undisputed heavyweight champion of the NHL.
You have to give some credit to Pezzetta for dropping the mitts but if you have a stand off for about 30 seconds before punches are thrown, you cannot let yourself getting eaten alive in front of the entire hockey world. A few moments later, 93 found 20 back door on a cute no looker and that’s all she wrote. Hockey and its momentum are a beautiful thing.
- Don’t let Kaapo get hot. Back to back first stars? Chemistry with Panarin? I think we are all here for this. Also, loved his reaction to the Reaves fight.
- Good for Gauthier. You know I’m a big Gauth guy and I just don’t know if he’s ever been given a legit chance. He’s fast, physical and drives the net. This was a big goal for a kid looking to become a part of an NHL team that’s more than just a 13th forward.
- Adam Fox is elite.
- Igor is pretty good too, eh?
- What in the world was Gallagher doing? This was rookie type shit. Your team is down 1, with a little bit of momentum and you just sucker someone? Good for Goodrow to lay there to see a hand go up and I suspect that this might not be over moving forward.
- Trouba is so much cooler when he plays mean and that’s what he’s been doing so far this year. He’s engaged, he’s in the shit, and he’s willing to go if need be. Loved seeing him mix it up with big Josh Anderson at the end of the game.
- Chytil looked good in his first game back and almost scored a highlight reel quality goal. He’s got the wheels man, the kid can fly.
- Ryan Lindgren was bleeding so the season officially started?
We’re back tomorrow night in Toronto. Keep it rolling boys.