14 games in and the Rangers have only won 6 games. There’s a whole lot of season left but the Rangers need to figure something out here.
- Offensive zone penalties are killers and that exactly what happened when Jimmy Vesey took a tripping call in the first period. The Islanders hopped on the Power Play and put one in. Just a giant kick to the momentum balls.
- Chris Kreider knew he had to be better and instead of being all talk – he went out there and did it. He was instrumental in the first goal by keeping the puck in and getting it low. He parked his ass in front of the net and potted the Rangers second goal. When Kreider plays a simple game based off speed, position and physicality he is a different player. That’s the game we needed, 20.
- Kravstov made it through a game without bundling himself.
- Vinny Trocheck had a solid game – A goal, an assist, 19-3 at the dot (86.4%), 4 hits – he was every where and exactly what we want to see out of our second line center.
- Kakko made a hell of a play and went right to the blue paint only to slide the puck wide. Confidence is growing and it is a lot of fun to watch.
- Has Ryan Carpenter done anything since being on the Rangers? Gustav SZN needs to be here and it needs to happen, now.
- One of the funny things about watch an Adam Fox + Libor Hajek pairing is the fact that Adam Fox plays the entire length of the ice. Get away from his puck, Libor.
- Joe mentioned that Trouba might be hurt and I’d feel a lot better about his play if that’s true. He’s being constantly out battled, out raced and out played every time he’s on the ice. Is it the pressure of the C? Is Father Time catching up?
- Through 2 periods, the Rangers were playing New York Rangers hockey. They were everywhere, they weren’t turning the puck over and they were playing with purpose. Then the third period started.
- The easiest way to protect a lead is to have the puck and if you don’t have the puck, to be on the defensive side of the puck. You block shots, clear the zone, get pucks deep, stay out of the box and manage the game that way. The Rangers did the exact opposite.
- You can’t let the Islanders score 14 seconds into the period. Hockey is a sport of momentum and there’s no coincidence that they say a two goal lead is the toughest lead in sports.
- Remember when I said stay out of the box? Yup, the Isles were 2-3 on the PP and their second tied the game in the third.
- Anders Lee put the Isles ahead when he found himself WIDE OPEN in front of the net to ultimately give the Islanders the W. Everything that the Rangers should’ve done in the third period did not happen and everything they shouldn’t have done did.
- Was Kaapo tripped? Absolutely but there also shouldn’t have been an icing call that led to a Rangers goal. Stop blaming the result one singular call when the Rangers had the opportunity to win this game themselves and failed.
- Boy we miss Ryan Lindgren, don’t we?
The Rangers play the Red Wings tomorrow night at 7 o’clock and go on the road for the next 6 out of 7 games. It’s time to buckle up, get to work and set the tone as road warriors.
Nothing like a dads trip to get the boys in line.
New lines alert:
Oh, hey KID line 😏.