I remember when I first heard about the Brassard deal and I remember being puzzled. I recognized Zibanejads name but didn’t know much about him. I looked at their number, they were pretty similar and saw that he was younger than big game Brass. That was the thing though, Brassard was a GREAT Rangers. So even though there was plenty to be optimistic about it was still a little tough. Now I sit here, 3 years later, laughing my ass off over one of the greatest fleecings (fleece is a word people LOVE to use when one GM abuses another) of all time.
Captaincy aside, Mika Zibanejad is here to FUCK. SHIT. UP. He is so fast, so powerful it is insane. He moves like Luis Mendoza except he is 6’2″ and 211 lbs. It’s so hard to take the puck from him because as soon as you commit to doing so all he needs to do is take one small push and heeee gone, much like his shorthanded goal.
The Powerplay is so so dangerous much in part with the addition of Panarin. Because we have the Breadman on his off side, we can put Zib, our former one timing specialist, in the middle where he can still shoot, cause havoc because of his size, or distribute, much like we see on the fourth goal. Back to the first one though, what began as a simple play, Trouba was able to get a shot through with Mika standing in front while Boroweickis (thats not spelled right) is sitting there sucking on his thumb.
The second goal might have been the prettiest thing I’ve ever seen in my life.
WHAT A PASS from Fox, which I’m happy MSG brought up. This play doesnt happen without the pass from the rookie and he’ll get no assist either that shows off this vision. Panarin then makes a quick pass to Zib who puts on a one touch passing clinic with Buchnevich. Joes commentary made me laugh out loud with his simple, “Are you kidding??”. This first line has tons of skill and is going to be doing things like this hopefully on a regular basis.
With a PPer and even strength goal, the DJ decided to get himself a shorty too. I’m not playing fantasy this year but this mustve been like a 100 point night for Mika.
Good god, the explosive skating, the patience, the poise. In these three goals Mika Zibanejad showed the league that he is one bad mamajama and us Rangers fans have ourselves a legit elite number one center. With 8 points through 2 games, the sky is the limit for 93. Oh, he also had this V beautiful assist on the PPer to our Russian stud.
Guys, this is fun.
Some other things to take note:
- Brady Tkachuk stole Marc Staals lunch money on their first goal, classic. This wasn’t a “hockey” play. Tkachuk used his size youth and will to teabag Staal out of the way, putting himself in position for a tip (even though he used his foot). The boys later triple teamed Tkachuk for giving Marcus a wet willy earlier and for that, we thank you. Loved seeing Stromer get a couple shots in there.
- Is this second line invisible or is it just me? I think Buch earned the right to the first line but FUCK i’d love to see me some Kakko points.
- Jacob Trouba, Tony DeAngelo, Adam Fox – sign me up.
- Georgie looked GREAT when he needed too. Every back up goalie we get turns out to be a wall. Love you Benny.
- Howdens faceoff skills were for sure a talking point on the pregame notes for ol’ Johnny and Joe.
- I love the Rangers but idk if I love them as much as that one family with the baby shower during commercials.
- Still no Kars 4 Kids, do you believe in miracles?
- I didn’t see, but if someone could reach out and let me know Lias’ time on ice it’d be greatly appreciated.
Til next time. I love this team, I love our team. Let’s keep rolling.